Friday, September 10, 2010

Chuck E. Cheese Experience

We decided that tonight would be a great night for a family fun night at Chuck E. Cheese. Wahoo, everyone was excited and the girls couldn't wait to get there.
"Are we there yet?" the girls chimed every two minutes.

The night was filled with games, rides, pizza, you name it. When all of our tokens (Ambria called them "coupons") were used, what else is left, but to go to the Ticket Muncher and see how many tickets we had....

Drumroll please.....800!!

Are you kidding me? 800!!
Do you know what this means?!
This means we can get a cool prize and not some stupid little prize that breaks on the way home.
This means we can get more than a Tootsie Roll!
This means we can get more than a necklace!
I think I was more excited than the girls were.


I have never had 800 tickets before so I was like a kid in a candy shop, my eyes wide with excitement.


Ok, time for the girls to choose a prize. They could get an awesome toy, like a ball with spikey things all over it, a slinky, a purse, some sort of crazy lizard thing...the options were almost endless when you have 800 tickets (ok, so we weren't THAT cool, and didn't have 1000 or 3000 tickets like some other chumps).


I was trying SOOO hard not to persuade them into something they didn't want, but I really didn't want them to choose a crap toy that got lost the next day or broke in an hour. We really don't need any more little crap toys around the house.


This is what Mariah chose: Cotton Candy, a crap necklace, and crap lip gloss.

This is what Ambria chose: Cotton Candy, a crap bracelet, and a crap pack of crayons.


Oh! Ugh! No! Really?! Is that what you REALLY want?!
Yup.


Cotton Candy was a good choice, but everything else I had to cringe.
I had to let the girls be independent.
I had to allow them to choose.
I had to let go.
I had to be ok with them getting crap toys.

The Chuck E. Cheese experience is just the beginning of the girls' independence, like it or not, ready or not, I have to allow them to be individuals.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I have such good memories of Chuck E. Cheese growing up. I'm pretty sure I always picked the 'crap' prizes when I was little. :)

Anonymous said...

I would have had an awfully hard time letting them decide to buy crap toys (that's what we call it too!). I probably would have told them what "they wanted"...LOL. I think you did it the right way though... When they are adults, my kids will probably end up telling their therapists all about how I wouldn't let them buy crap toys, or if I did, I made them each buy me a package of pop rocks...LOL